When Thorwald Thorson created the first design of his new practice for a local church in 1914, he started something big. In the 1920s and 1930s, Thorwald scattered the Midwest with his mastery of church design, working in Iowa, South Dakota, North Dakota, Minnesota and Nebraska. It was Thorwald’s work with churches that caught the attention of many and launched him into new industries in the 1940s and 1950s.